Good Evening Bloggers. How are you? Well today is special for a few reasons. First, I think I am finally starting to kick the summer cold I have been fighting for the past 2 weeks. Second, I was able to catch up weeding in my gardens earlier today. Lastly and most importantly, I completed my configurations box for Linda Ledbetter’s Studio L3 special edition challenge. Up for grabs is a giant goodies package from Tim Holtz and Mario. Click here for Linda’s blog.
Participants were given 2 weeks for this challenge as it is a big one and takes a bit more time to complete. The directions for this technique can be found on pages 33 and 34 of Compendium of Curiosities Volume 2. My completed configurations box has a garden/nature theme.
I used Ideaology’s largest box and followed the instructions inside the book. Afterwards, I preselected my trinkets and pre planned each of the boxes. I decided to print off coordinating background images from Google. This is a fine thing to do so long as it is for personal use only. Below is a picture showing the configurations box with just the background papers.
Below are close ups of the individual boxes along with a brief summary of supplies or techniques used. Starting in the upper left hand corner is a fractured girl doll. I used Ranger’s Alcohol Ink Filled Pens to give the girl clothes, skin tone, hair, and added a sunflower garden hat similar to one I wear while working in my gardens. The rusted watering can is a trinket from my stash.
Next is a seeds miniature display that I picked up awhile back on a shopping trip.
Upper right hand corner are Scrabble letters distressed using Walnut Stain Distress Ink. Below are miniature terra cotta pots that have been altered using Vintaj Patina. Inside each pot is a mini Styrofoam ball that has been painted green.
Next is a miniature garden desk scene. Scene includes an Ideology timepiece and a couple Maya Road Bingo motif pieces for accents. The desktop surface has a garden journal and pencil.
In the middle is a garden bench and tree. The tree is a jewelry charm from Michael’s. I altered the tree using Vintaj Patina.
Over to the the far left are some mushrooms, a watering hose, and a faucet. The mushrooms are from Melissa Frances. I added Walnut Stain Distress Ink to grungy them up and placed them into some Earth Textures by Elements to simulate dirt. I love the effect. The hose is a Jolee’s embellishment and the faucet is from Ideaology.
In the lower left hand corner is a bird feeder suspended from a tree branch and a bird nest. I made the bird feeder from a piece of rolled mesh tape, painted it silver with Ranger Paint Dabber and used Glossy Accents to adhere feeder to a painted button. I cut and painted toothpicks for feeder ports and filled the feeder with a few black oil sunflower seeds. The birds were created using a mini Punch A Bunch punch. Lastly, I added a wire hanger and another button for the feeder’s cover. For the nest, I started with a plain unadorned pre bought nest to which I added various feathers, excelsior, grass, twigs, strings, and 3 eggs.
Bottom center is a trellis filled with Recollections roses.
Lastly, is a bird bath and a bird house. The bird bath is a trinket filled with Glossy Accents to simulate water . The metal bird house is from Michael’s. I altered it using Vintaj Patina. Afterwards, I added a bit of nesting material inside the house.
Afterwards, I completed the box by adding some Ideaology foundation feet. I altered these with Vintaj Patina. Below is the completed garden configurations box.
The box was a lot of fun to put together. To date, I have made a few and the possible themes for a box is endless. I invite you to make one yourself. Thank you for stopping by. Please feel free to leave me a comment and tell me what you think. Please stop back again soon.